Boeing F/A-18E Super Hornet
Jolly Wrenches trooper
|Video Game Appearances|
Echo is a character in the film Planes.
Armed with stellar instincts, incredible aerial abilities and outstanding service records, Bravo and Echo are two of the Jolly Wrenches’ top troops. These fighter jets happen to be avid air racing fans, too, with a special affinity for Dusty, who’s adopted their Jolly Wrenches insignia. And as far as the racers are concerned, it doesn’t hurt to have a couple soldiers nearby should any plane falter under the immense pressure of the world’s most rigorous rally.
In the Planes teaser trailer (which contains animation not in the film), he appears along with Bravo. After Dusty Crophopper takes off and was having a bit of trouble flying, Bravo asks Echo if Dusty will be okay. Dusty was then seen skywriting "Cool", with Echo replying that he thinks Dusty will be okay.
In the actual film, they are seen trying to get Dusty towards Dwight D. Flysenhower when he gets low on fuel and lost over the Pacific Ocean after losing his navigation antenna that was destroyed by Ned and Zed. After Dusty lands on the ship, all of the crew give him some fuel and a new antenna, and Bravo and Echo show Dusty the Jolly Wrenches Hall of Fame, and try to get to Dusty ready when he asks on the radio if it is true that Skipper Riley flew only one mission. Bravo and Echo are later seen at the end with Dusty and Skipper on Dwight as they fly together.
Planes: The Video Game
In Planes: The Video Game, Bravo and Echo both appear in the console version, but only Echo is playable in the handheld version.
Echo is painted gray, with a black hood and red helmet.
- Echo's actor Anthony Edwards was paired up with Val Kilmer (Bravo). Both of them starred in Top Gun as Iceman and Goose, and this may be a reference, along with that Bravo and Echo's helmet designs are also the same as the ones used by Goose and Iceman.
- He is modeled after a Boeing F/A-18E Super Hornet, famously shown in films like Independence Day. He is also similar to the Grumman F-14 Tomcat, famous from the movie Top Gun.
- Bravo: "Unknown rider, unknown rider. You have entered restricted airspace. Why haven't you responded to radio contact?"
Dusty Crophopper: "Somebody cut off my antenna!"
(Echo scans Dusty.)
Bravo: "Identify yourself."
Dusty Crophopper: "I'm Dusty Crophopper!"
Bravo: "Roger that. Bogey has been identified as Crophopper Seven."
Dusty Crophopper: "I'm running on vapors. I need to land."
Echo: "What are you doing out here with an empty tank?"
Dusty Crophopper: "Well, I thought I'd refuel in Hawaii, but..."
Bravo: "Hawaii is 375 miles southwest of here."
Dusty Crophopper: "What?"
Echo: "Listen, Crophopper. You better follow us to the boat. No bingo fields around here."
Dusty Crophopper: "'Bingo fields'?"
Echo: "Places to land."
Dusty Crophopper: "The boat?"
Echo: "The USS Dwight D. Flysenhower."
- —Bravo, Echo and Dusty, while they are flying over the Pacific Ocean after Dusty loses his antenna.
- Bravo: "An honorary Jolly Wrench. How's that feel, Dusty?"
Dusty Crophopper: "It feels great!"
Echo: (laughs) "Back in the saddle again, eh, Skipper?"
Skipper Riley: "Well, they didn't have these fancy toys the last time I did this."
Dusty Crophopper: "Nothing to it!"
- —Bravo, Echo, Dusty and Skipper, as Dusty and Skipper get ready for take-off back to Propwash Junction.